- 1995: Fellowship, Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- 1992: Pediatric Residency, The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY
- 1989: M.D., University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, San Francisco, CA
- 1984: A.B. with High Honors, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Joined the Institute
Health policy, the health and healthcare of underserved children, the uninsured, and racial/ethnic and linguistic disparities in healthcare.
Research and policy issues, including health policy, health services research, public and population health, racial/ethnic disparities in children’s health and healthcare, language barriers in healthcare, insuring the uninsured, and childhood obesity.
- Contact Information
- Featured Research Study PubCasts:
- Study Findings PubCast: "Pediatrics Kids’ HELP - Parent Mentors and Insuring Uninsured Children"
- Asthma Parent Mentor Resources:
- Kids' HELP Parent Mentor Train-the-Trainer Resource:
- Website/Training Program:
- Flores G., Lin H., Walker C., Lee M., Portillo A., Henry M., Fierro M., Massey K. A cross-sectional study of parental awareness of and reasons for lack of health insurance among minority children, and the impact on health, access to care, and unmet needs. International Journal for Equity in Health. Published online before print. DOI 10.1186/s12939-016-0331-y. Epub (ahead of print). March 2016. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G., Lin H., Walker C., Lee M., Currie, J., Allgeyer R., Fierro M., Henry M., Portillo A., Massey K. Parent Mentors and Insuring Uninsured Children: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. Volume 137, Number 4. April 2016. Visit Abstract.
- Zhao J., Lau M., Vermette D., Liang D., Flores G. Communication Between Asian American Adolescents and Healthcare Providers about Sexual Activity, Sexually Transmitted Infections, and Pregnancy Prevention. Journal of Adolescent Research. Published online before print. DOI: 10.1177/0743558416630808. February 2016. Visit Abstract.
- Foster BA, Aquino C, Gil M, Flores G, Hale D. A randomized clinical trial of the effects of parent mentors on early childhood obesity: Study design and baseline data. Contemporary Clinical Trials. Published online before print. DOI: 10.1016/j.cct.2015.08.017. September 2015. Visit Abstract.
- Turer C, Upperman C, Merchant Z, Montaño S, Flores G. Primary-care weight-management strategies: Parental priorities and preferences. Academic Pediatrics. Published online before print. DOI: 10.1016/j.acap.2015.09.001. September 2015. Visit Abstract.
- Lee MC, Shetgiri R, Barina A, Tillitski J, Flores G. Raising bilingual children: A qualitative study of parental attitudes, beliefs and intended behaviors. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences. Published online before print. DOI: 10.1177/0739986315602669. September 2015. Visit Abstract.
Selected Publications of Note
- Flores G, Fuentes-Afflick E,Carter-Pokras O, et al. The health of Latino children: Urgent priorities, unanswered questions, and a research agenda. JAMA 2002;288:82-90. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, Laws MB, Mayo SJ, et al. Errors in medical interpretation and their potential clinical consequences in pediatric encounters. Pediatrics 2003;111:6-14. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, Abreu M, Chaisson CE, et al. A randomized trial of the effectiveness of community-based case management in insuring uninsured Latino children. Pediatrics 2005;116:1433-1441. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G. Language barriers to health care in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine 2006;355:229-231. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, Tomany-Korman SC. Racial and ethnic disparities in medical and dental health, access to care, and use of services in US Children. Pediatrics 2008;121:e286-e298. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, Snowden-Bridon C, Torres S, et al. Improving asthma outcomes in minority children: A randomized, controlled trial of parent mentors. Pediatrics 2009;124;1522-1532. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Pediatric Research. Technical Report: Racial and ethnic disparities in the health and healthcare of children. Pediatrics 2010;125:e979-e1020. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, Abreu M, Barone CP, Bachur R, Lin H. Errors of medical interpretation and their potential clinical consequences: A comparison of professional vs. ad hoc vs. no interpreters. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2012;60:545-53. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, Lin H. Trends in racial/ethnic disparities in medical and oral health, access to care, and use of services in US children: Has anything changed over the years? International Journal for Equity in Health 2013; Jan 22;12:10. Visit Abstract.
- Flores G, Lesley B. Children and federal policy on health and healthcare: Seen but not heard. JAMA Pediatrics 2014;168(12):1155-63. Visit Abstract.